Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Blyleven - The Flying Dutchman !

In the last 2 months I have been gradually picking up some cool Blyleven cards. As most of you know, Bert Blyleven was born in the Netherlands with his nickname being "The Flying Dutchman". He was a great pitcher with 287 career wins (27th on the all-time list) and 3701 career strike-outs (5th on the all-time list). Bert finally entered the hall of fame in 2009, after being on the ballot for 13 years.

Given the clear link with the Netherlands (he was born in Zeist in 1951 and has also been a pitching coach for the Dutch team) I have decided to start my own Blyleven collection ! The first card I was able to pick-up for a great price was this beauty, one of the signed 2012 Archives framed mini-cards !!

This beauty made me want to start a collection, a collection that is now well on its way as it appears that there are not that many Blyleven collectors around hence his cards are available for very reasonable prices. However, trading for Blyleven cards is even more fun so if you have any you want to get rid of and send (back) to the Netherlands let's trade !!!

9 comments:

  1. I think I have a few Blyleven cards. I would trade them for any soccer cards you could find me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chuck, I recently received a bunch of Euro 2012 stickers so let me know if those are of interest !

      Delete
  2. I was watching for these, too - I wanted one as an example and Blyleven seemed like a great option to do so for a decent price. Picked one up on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well in that case: grats on your great Blyleven card as well !

      Delete
  3. That's an awesome Blyleven card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen one of those. That is really sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bret... another underrated pitcher in his time

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking auto! Never seen that particular set before.

    ReplyDelete